Tuesday, June 8, 2010

P3D8

Still holding strong. I am loving having all these food options available. I am not even missing or craving any carbs.

Perhaps it is because I have found and or tweaked a bunch of recipes that are P3 friendly. I will be posting a lovely recipe for Caesar salad on my gluten free blog so check that in a day or 2. I am posting a recipe here for crackers that is divine. I found it at one of my favorite gluten free websites: Gluten-Free Goddess. I adapted it a tiny bit and made some fantastic snacks! They are low carb, no starch and sugar free. But, not calorie free, so I wouldn't try eating a whole batch. :)
---------------------------------------------
P3 friendly, No Starch, No Sugar, Cheese Crackers

2 cups fine almond meal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon minced garlic, to taste (I used fresh, but 1/4 tsp powdered should work)
1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
2 teaspoons dried herbs (I used cumin with divine results)
Pinch or two of paprika for color (optional)
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup very finely grated aged Parmesan (don't use the kind in a can, get it from the cheese or deli department at your store)
1 beaten egg white
2-3 tablespoons grapeseed or extra virgin olive oil, as needed
4 tablespoons spring water, as needed


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a standard baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine the drier ingredients (almond meal through Parmesan) in a mixing bowl and stir until combined. Add egg white and 1 Tbs each oil and water. Mix well. Repeat adding oil and water until a moist, moderately sticky dough forms. Taste test and adjust seasonings to your taste buds.
Using oiled hands place the mound of dough on the parchment and flatten with the palm of your hand. You can use a second piece of parchment on top of the dough and roll it flat with a rolling pin. I made mine about 1/8 thick. If you would rather, you can use oiled palms and fingers to press the dough out evenly and as thin as possible. If it cracks, simply press back together with moist fingers. I did sprinkly on some Fleur de Sel at the end, but I think it made them a touch too salty. Next time I will do it without.

Bake in the center of a hot oven for 15 minutes or so, until the dough is set and golden. Remove and cool on a wire rack. When the dough has cooled, cut the dough into pieces using a pizza cutter. Or break apart for random jagged pieces. I found that my edges (even with an even rolling job) got done first while in the middle the crackers remained pliable, not crunchy. I solved this by allowing the crackers to cool to the touch, I cut them with a pizza cutter, separated each cracker and removed any that I thought had achieved the prefect crunchiness. I put the remaining, softer crackers back into the oven for 3-5 minutes. Keep an eye on them so that they don't get too browned. This made about 16 to 18 crackers for me.

Store in an air tight container. Mine have stayed crunchy and yummy for 4 days in their container.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I start P3 in 4 days, and this looks delicious. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these recipes. I'm going to check out that site for when I get on P3 again. I'm so glad that you're having so much success stabilizing.

    ReplyDelete