Sunday, June 13, 2010

P3D13

ALL THINGS IN MODERATION

No, I am not yelling at you. I put that in caps to remind myself. I feel wretched today. My weight is way up over the 2 allowed lbs.

Part of the reason I feel like heck is that the pollen counts are sky high right now. I am definitely allergic to something that is pollinating right now. My eyes are red, itchy and swollen, my sinuses are killing me, I have a pounding headache, etc. Basically I feel like I have a hangover and a mild cold all at the same time; no alcohol involved!

But I don't think the pollen is the only reason. I think I have been eating too many non-sugar sweeteners. Specifically, I think I have been eating too much malitol (Sinless Sans Fat ice cream at Cold Stone on Friday), erytritol and xylitol (all the cupcakes I have been baking to find the perfect one for my daughter's birthday). Things might not have been so bad if I had tasted 1 a day. Instead I was eating 3, sometimes 4 or 5 of those grain-free, sugar free wonders. I clearly overdid it. I was warned by my doc that these sweeteners can cause water retention, inflammation or intestinal issues if I ate too much. Well, I avoided the intestinal issues, but I am suffering the inflammation and water retention.

So let my suffering serve as a warning to you. Yes, those chocolate cupcakes are divine, but eat them in moderation. Make them and enjoy 1 or 2 and then get them out of your house.

I am correcting today with detox teas and asparagus for most of the day except dinner. Since it is my daughter's birthday, we are eating at PF Chang's. I have already made a list of entrees I can have that are low-carb, sugar-free and can be made without starch. I think I will be okay. I plan to drink lots of water to counter the increased sodium.

Okay, this will be my last post for about a week or so. I am heading to a big scientific nerd conference. I am ready to make healthy decisions once I am there. Wish me luck!

Enjoy life,
Amy

3 comments: