Tuesday, January 25, 2011

R3P2D9

Lost 0.6 lbs when I weighed in this morning.  A loss is a loss right?  Still, disappointing.  I love it when it is over 1 lb, but not today.

Anyway, keeping on protocol for the most part despite the rough times for my family right now.  I am struggling with my emotions surrounding my daughter.  It is hard advocating for your child and facing the fact that she may have a lifelong disability.  I know she will be fine and she is just wonderful the way she is.  But, we went through 8 or so years of thinking she was going to face life one way and now we are forced to change our perspectives and face a slightly different future. 

Yesterday and today have been hardest emotionally.  I don't think I could point to anything that has happened other than my mind is processing all of this.  It is almost like the grieving process with distinct phases.  I have just reached a phase in this process where I am struggling.  I am close to accepting it and want to find a way to move to the next step.  I want to start advocating for her with all of her teachers, but we don't have an official diagnosis yet.  I don't know if I should wait for it or go an advocate for her now.  I don't want to give her a label and have the pros come up with a different diagnosis...

It's just hard. 

Amy

2 comments:

  1. Im sorry you are struggling! My son at 3 had an autism diagnosis that I ended up (through a lot of working with him in various ways) having removed. For me the 'label' had such negative connotations. Clearly kids need the support that they need for whatever issues they have but labels seem so defining to me. I hope they 'diagnose' her correctly so she can get the right kind of help, but I do hope she doesn't get 'labeled'. (of you know what I mean). Kids with challenges are take a real toll on the mother especially I think. Hang in there and make time for you. As for the weight loss - I have had 2 days with no losses, so I say YAY for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs to you Amy... you are a good mother!

    ReplyDelete