Tuesday, October 26, 2010

R2P3D14 (+3.0 LIW)

Grrrr!  Not sure what happened this weekend, but I went from almost 2 lbs under LIW on Friday to 3 lbs over LIW today.  I should do a steak day today, but I am not prepared.  I will do a lot of clean eating and drink a lot of fluids and see if that takes care of it.  If not, a steak day is in my future.

There may be a couple of things contributing to this gain.  At the end of last week I started weaning myself off of the synthetic thyroid that I use to supplement my regular NatureThroid prescription when I am doing Phase 2.   I am not feeling my usual cold hands/feet symptoms of low thryoid, but have noticed more hair in the drain and then there is this gain....

I am also thinking that I have developed an intolerance to almonds.  My tummy and intestines have not been happy lately.  Not good for a gluten free, low-carb girl.  I use almonds or almond flour in so many things.  I had a rough gut transition from P2 to P3 and wondered if it was the almonds.  I went for 3 days without an almond product and felt better.  But then I read about others having a hard time with the P2 to P3 transition and thought I had wrongly accused the poor nut.  But now I am having lots of GI issues and can't help but blame that little nut.  That could be causing some inflammation, but probably not 3 lbs worth. Sigh.

So, how about a recipe?  This one may not be new for most of you, but I am going to post it.   Since I am staying off of almonds, this is a life saver for me.  It is the glorious and time proven Oopsie Roll!  I love these things in the morning with a sausage on top.  Delish!  They also work well as a bread or roll substitute (you want to make sure you set them out to dry out though).  So, without further ado...

Oopsie Rolls
3 large eggs, separated
pinch of cream of tartar
3 oz cream cheese or cottage cheese

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Using a mixer (I use my Kitchenaid stand mixer), whip the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.  Carefully transfer the now fluffy whites to a large bowl.  In the dirty mixer bowl combine the yolks and your cheese product of choice.  I use cream cheese.  Some people say it should be firm, but I have used it firm and softened and things turned out virtually the same. 
Add the yolk mixture to the fluffy whites.  Using a spatula, gently fold the yolk mixture into the whites until there are no streaks.  Careful here, don't deflate your whites too much, hence the folding.
Spray a cookie sheet or line with a silpat mat or parchment paper (I think either liner works best).  Spoon the mixture onto the cookie sheet, forming 6 mounds.  Slightly flatten each mound; not too much though, the oven evens things out pretty well.  Bake for 25 minutes, until just slightly browned on top.  Maybe golden is a better description.  Let cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes then transfer to a bakers rack to cool further.  I will usually leave mine on the rack to cool/dry for a few hours.  Some people leave them out overnight.
Storing:  I usually store mine in either a large zip bag with parchment between each roll or in a large tupperware-style container (again, use the parchment between each roll) in the refrigerator.  They can also be frozen.  I do recommend that before you use them you get them out and allow them to warm up/defrost and dry out a little.  Otherwise, they can be sticky.  I find that if I pop them in my toaster on the lightest setting and stay close, this heat them up and dries the outside quickly and I can use them right away. 
Options:  while plain works for most things, you may want to alter these, depending upon their intended use.  Add a little herbs and spices to the yolk mixture for savory rolls.  Dry mustard and dill are great additions, but pepper (use white if you don't want little flecks, but I don't really care and use black) and onion powder is also a good choice.  If you want to use these for sweet treats (as mini tart bases....) add a small amount of stevia or other P3 sweetener to the yolk mixture.

If you make these please share how you use them and how you alter them.  They have so many uses it would be nice to share your brilliant ideas with everyone else.

Enjoy the day,
Amy

4 comments:

  1. Oh no, that would be terrible not to be able to do the almonds! :( Sounds like you have some things taht you can play around with though to see what might be the culprit. Try to get high protein in some form today - I found that in P3 if I was above 50% protein in my intake that I did better... it helped me stabilize last round.

    I need to try these Oopsie rolls! Bread is something I miss on P3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( Sorry to hear about the gain but it sounds like you're clued into what's happening. I'm sure you'll correct just fine!

    I've never done oopsie rolls but am SO GOING TO this P3!! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh NO Amy! I'm so sorry you're having tummy troubles- Have you tried coconut flour as a replacement for almond flour?

    I do think part of your gain is thyroid-related. Will you be going on to use Naturethroid exclusively? May I ask why you use the synthetic to supplement the Naturethroid during P2? I'm interested as I have low thyroid too, and think part of my inability to maintain my losses is thyroid-related. I haven't gotten my thyroid stabilized yet either. I've been on compounded porcine thyroid mixed with acidophilus in capsule form. I take 1 grain per day, but I don't think it's enough.

    I'm sure that if you eat clean today, do a steak day tomorrow, if possible, those 3lbs will be history!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Everyone!
    Lis-I do fine higher protein is best for me too. I like that I don't get very hungry on higher protein too.

    HD-oopsie rolls are great, I make a batch each weekend so I have them on hand. I love putting berries and whipped cream on a plain or slightly sweet one. Delish!

    LD-I have been experimenting with coconut flour and am still working on recipe adaptations. It can be tricky stuff as it holds so much liquid. Have to add in more liquids and let the batter sit for about 10 min. I will try to post a recipe soon. And regarding the thyroid: I have to use the synthetic during P2 cause my thyroid just crashes about 2-3 weeks in. I did my first round with my endorcrinologist and he sees half of his HCG patients experiencing a thyroid crash. Seems that, despite getting calories from burning our fat, our bodies perceive the situation as desperate starvation. It blocks the T3 receptors with anti-T3 essentially sending you into hybernation mode. The only solution is bombarding it with tons of t3 to take the block off the receptors. Too much Biology, I know. I can't help it, I am a Scientist. :) Anyway, I add in the synthetic 2-3 weeks into P2, and continue with my NT. Once I am in P3 I start backing off the synthetic and try to return to my old dosage of NT. I think I may have backed off too soon or I may need more of the NT. Before I started this round my doc wanted me to increase my NT. I was at 2.5 grains/day, but it is looking like I may need to go up to 4 grains. Yikes. That's what you get when you have Hashimoto's Disease (thyroid) and Celiac in on package.

    Sorry for the book. Hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete