Wednesday, October 27, 2010

R2P3D15 (+1.8lbs LIW)

Back in the safety zone!  Steak day averted for now.  Whew!

I just ate nice and clean yesterday and had no almonds.  I only had one fruit and that was in my green smoothie in the morning.  I am hoping to get a little more off so I have some wiggle room.  More clean and almond free for me today, but I will have this pear that is perfectly ripe and staring at me.

Okay, a couple recipes.  I like to enjoy these things together.  The crackers are made with almond flour so I have had to set these aside.  I will work on an alternative nut flour or coconut flour recipe.  I think I can do almonds, but I will have to keep it to one serving a day.  Darn it.  I will wait to test that theory until the GI issues and the weight is back down to more comfortable levels.


Almond Flour Saltines
 2 C blanched almond flour (this doesn't work as well if not blanched, but still good)
1/2 tsp salt (I like fine grind sea salt myself)
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 Tbs oil of choice (I use grape seed a lot, but could do olive, coconut or even butter)
large grain salt to sprinkle on top (again, sea salt, but course grind this time)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine the flour and salt in a bowl and whisk to combine.  This breaks up any lumps in your almond flour and mixes the 2 ingredients well.  Add egg and oil and blend until combined.  Your dough will easily form a ball at this point.  Place dough ball on silpat mat or a parchment paper (I have used plastic wrap or waxed paper in a pinch, but don't bake with these!).  Using a sheet of parchment (or whatever) to cover the dough ball and roll it out nice and thin.  Go for as thin as you can but still be able to fit on a cookie sheet.  I fine I have to do a little dough remodeling if I go off the edges.  That's okay, this is a very forgiving dough.  I like to score the dough with a knife or pizza cutter before I bake; makes it super easy to break the crackers apart after they are done baking.  Sprinkle the coarse salt over the top of the crackers just before you put them in the oven.  Bake for about 15 min.  Check them to be certain they are lightly browned.  You want them crunchy, but not burnt.  The longer you can bake them without burning them, the crunchier they will be.  Allow the crackers to cool and then break them apart.  Store in a tightly sealed container to keep them from getting stale. 

These are easily adaptable.  You can add herbs and spices to the mix and on top.  Experiment and enjoy. 

Or have them with this awesome dip I adapted from Joyful Abode.


A-Freaking-Mazing Artichoke Dip
8 oz cream cheese, softened (either at room temp or in the microwave)
1/3 C sour cream
1/4 C mayonnaise
1 C chopped spinach (fresh or 3/4 C frozen, thawed and drained is fine)
2 small cans or jars of artichoke hearts, chopped (you want the plain old, non-marinated kind)
1/2 tsp garlic salt (or more depending upon your taste)
1/2-1 tsp chili powder (or if you want it spicy hot, add 1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne)
1/2 C shredded mozzarella cheese (cheddar is good too), plus more to sprinkle on top

Mix all ingredients in a baking dish, sprinkle some cheese on top.  Broil until cheese is brown and dip is bubbly on the sides.  Try to control yourself.  This is good.

Enjoy the day!
Amy

3 comments:

  1. I LOL'd at the "try to control yourself" comment! YUMMM! I will have to try this!

    Is almond flour hard to find?

    Congrats on getting back into the safety zone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob's Red Mill makes a blanched almond flour and that is at some grocery stores, certainly at a health food store. I can do some checking with my gluten-free bloggy friends that are in Utah and get your more info. Some people claim that Bob's is not as good as others, but I don't find much of a difference. And Bob's is a wonderful company that does more than make money, know what I mean? Otherwise, I really like the stuff they sell at Honeyville Farms (http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/blanchedalmondflour5lb.aspx). It seems like a spendy output, but it lasts quite awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!! I cannot wait to be able to have some of these recipes Amy! Glad you avoided the steak day!

    ReplyDelete