Tuesday, October 19, 2010

R2P3D7 (+0.2 LIW)

Wowzers, really loving how steady I am holding this time!   And I am loving my P3 food choices.

Terribly busy at work today and life outside of work is crazy too.  Feel like I am juggling too many balls and dropping some of them.  Yikes.  Need to get this stress under control or I may not see my weight stay steady.

Got today's recipe from Babyfro at Living Without Wheat.  I read it and it sounded fabulous as I haven't been able to eat or use Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup since being diagnosed with Celiac.  The bonus is that it is totally P3 friendly.  So now, I bring it to you:

Creamy Mushroom Soup
  • 6 tbsp butter
  • 1 small onion, thinly sliced
  • 12 ounces button mushrooms (I used cremini)
  • 4 cups chicken stock or broth
  • 1 sprig of flat parsley
  • Salt and pepper

In the medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat and add the onion. Cook until the onion is soft and translucent, then add the mushrooms and the remaining butter. Let the mixture sweat for about 8 minutes, taking care that the onion doesn't take on any brown color. Stir in the chicken stock and the parsley and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat and simmer for about an hour.
After an hour, remove the parsley and discard. Let the soup cool for a few minutes, then transfer to the blender and carefully blend at high speed until smooth. Do I have to remind you to do this in stages, with the blender's lid firmly held down, and with the weight of your body keeping that thing from flying off and allowing boiling hot mushroom purée to erupt all over your kitchen? I used my Vitamix and it worked perfectly.  Made the soup so creamy, thick and smooth.
When blended, return the mix to the pot, season with salt and pepper, and bring up to a simmer again. 

I admit I added a couple of tablespoons of heavy cream before I even tasted it. I am not sure that this was necessary and think that with all the butter being emulsified in the blender it would have been creamy enough on its own.  

This was so delicious, decadent and filling on its own.  I also used some in a batch of stroganoff that I made and served over cauliflower rice.   My mom, then I, used to make it with the canned stuff.  This was honestly the best batch of stroganoff I have had since my diagnosis.  It was comfort food at its finest all because of a homemade batch of creamy mushroom soup.

Enjoy,
Amy

4 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering reading your recipe Amy!! that sounds de-lish!

    Look at you holding onto that LIW! It's terrific-

    SO very glad to hear you will be doing another round in January-- maybe we can be buddies then!

    hugs to you!! (thank you again for you very sweet comment on my blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to hire you as a chef. Everything, and the way you write about it sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Amy, that sounds sooooo good!!! Looks like we have a good gang for our January rounds !!:) So glad we will all be in it together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on stabilizing so well. Geez - I wish that soup was P2 friendly!

    ReplyDelete