Thursday, October 14, 2010

R2P3D2 (+1.6 LIW)

Ahhh!  Wow, that shot up fast.  But it is still within the limits...barely.  I think I know what's up (or I am making lots of excuses...)

-TOM, if it is coming, is due on Sunday.  I never know if I will have one 'cause I use the Mirena IUD and almost never have one.  About the only time I have one is on HCG.  I could have one since I am only barely off the HCG.
- I volunteered at an event last night that had me on my feet in a very hot room for 4 hours straight.  Fool that I was, I had a sweater on that I couldn't take off.   I drank a lot of water, but never needed to pee.  Bad sign.  I drank more when I got home, but could never satisfy my thirst.
- I ate when I got home and it was quite a bit too late to be eating.  And I ate a full-on meal despite the fact that I had dinner before my volunteer shift and snacks during.  All of it was P3 okay foods.  Then I went to bed with all that food in my gullet.  Not good.

Okay, so this could be some timing issues and some bad choices.  I am trying good choices today.  I am eating when I am hungry and stopping when I am satisfied.  I can save any leftovers for a snack, if needed.

Let's hope I see a stabilization tomorrow or I am going to have to do a steak day already.

My neck is a bit better today and the pain in manageable.  I do see a chiropractor for my neck and ironically I had just seen him Tues afternoon.  Then I went home and wrestled with my kids on the floor.  I think I reversed anything my Chiro had done.  

And now for a recipe; Onion Cheddar Biscuits.  I got this one from Comfy Belly.  I modified it ever so slightly out of necessity.  Her original called for a tablespoon of honey which I removed and 1/4 C of fresh onion, chopped, which I didn't have.  I used dried, mince onion flakes as a sub.  I also added 1 Tbs of water to help accommodate the dry onions.  She also recommended oiling the tops, but I found that a bit excessive considering how much fat (good fat) is already in these babies.   And next time I don't think I will put the baking dish of water in the oven with the biscuits.  I think the nature of the ingredients will give these bad boys a nice crunchy crust anyway. 

These remind me of those evil cheddar garlic biscuits that are served at Red Lobster.  I LOVED those things until I found out they were killing me.  I made these on Tuesday night in anticipation of P3.  I served them with my kids' dinner.  My 3 year old said, "no thank you" but my 8 year old loved them.  She could only do half though.  No wonder, they are pretty rich.  When my hubby came home later that evening he heated on up in the toaster oven and gave them an enthusiastic thumbs up.

Grain Free Onion Cheddar Biscuits


  • 1 1/2 cups of almond flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of low carb baking powder (see below)
  • 1 1/2 Tbs dried, minced onion or onion flakes or 1/4 C fresh onion, minced.
  • 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, grated
  • 2 tablespoons of softened butter
  • 1 egg

Preheat the oven to 330 degrees F.  Place a baking dish, with water in it, at the bottom of the oven to create a crunchy crust on the biscuits.  Combine all the dry ingredients and blend well.  Whisk all the wet ingredients until frothy (has bubbles), and then combine it with the dry mixture.  Blend the dough mixture well and allow to sit for 5 mine (to reconstitute the dry onion flakes).  Spoon dough out into 6 balls on a stick-free or lined baking sheet. I use a stick-free backing mat or parchment paper.  Bake for 15 minutes, and then lower the heat to 300 degrees F and bake for another 15 minutes.  Check after 5-10 minutes. Mine were done early.

These can be stored in the refrigerator and warmed up later. Reheat at 300 degrees F for about 6 minutes.

Low carb baking powder can be made in small batches by combining 2 parts cream of tartar with 1 part baking soda.  Without the cornstarch this will start to cake in a week or so.  You can always just use straight baking soda as a low carb sub.

Once I had a chance to try these I loved them.  They were delightful as prepared, but I will make a couple of additional changes next time.   They were nice and moist, but pretty oily.  I am going to try these without the addition of the butter.  If they need more moisture I will add more water or maybe an egg.  They were a little loose, so I am more likely to try adding an egg next time.  I would also like to try them with fresh onion and maybe a little garlic.

Here's to stability!
Enjoy,
Amy





4 comments:

  1. Your excuses don't sound like excuses but reasonable conclusions. I suspect you're body will auto correct! :) Those cheesey things sound SO GOOD. I must remember to try to bake them when the time comes! I wonder if a little jalapeno added would be good. LOVE the ones from Red Lobster (though I haven't had one in over 10 years!)!

    So glad you're feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weird, tried to edit a couple typos in my previous comment, but it got deleted. Here it is again.

    ooooh, do tell if you make them with jalapenos! Not for my kids, but hubby and I like it spicy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're right in your guess as to why the weight blip today. Its probably TOM and late eating. Tomorrow, eat really cleanly and drink LOTS of water, and I'll bet you see your weight getting closer to LIW.

    LOVE that recipe for biscuits!! I'll definitely try this next P3. Thank you for sharing!!

    hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete